How to deal with back pain
- If you have back pain, see an osteopath sooner rather than later
- Hours in one position can cause problems – avoid ‘computer hump’
- During repetitive tasks, vary your rhythm and take frequent breaks
- Adjust car seats and, on long journeys, take regular breaks to stretch
- Pace yourself with heavy work like gardening – don’t ‘risk a disc’
- Watch children’s posture – they shouldn’t carry bags on one shoulder
- During pregnancy, see an osteopath to help your body adjust to changes
- Avoid strain when lifting (particularly small children and shopping)
- Take regular exercise – your osteopath can help you find what’s right for you
- If symptoms do not clear up within a few days, consult your osteopath for advice and treatment
- If it hurts, don’t do it!
I have been seeing Karen at this practice on and off for a number of years - I couldn't survive without her and can't recommend her enough! She is incredibly knowledgable, extremely professional, doesn't rush you, is thorough and ALWAYS gets to the bottom of what's wrong. For example, last time I saw her she diagnosed me with a slipped disc - this was subsequently confirmed in an MRI scan. Thank you!
- Judith Irwin